- Cambridge, Mass.— The No. 1 seeded Lesley University defeated No. 2 New England College in the NECC Women's Soccer championship match Saturday evening by a score of 3-2. The Lynx also captured the Championship last season, garnering them the title of back-to-back champions.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- New England College broke the stale mate in the 23rd minute to take a 1-0 lead midway through the first half. Lynx goaltender Brittley Gaan came charging to make a sliding save on a loose ball that Emily LePage barely got a foot on to kick away from Gaan. LePage beat a Lynx defender to the loose ball for the one time strike past the goal line.
- The lone goal in the half was one of ten combined shots in the half, with the Pilgrims holding the advantage 6-4.
- The Pilgrims backstop Kayla Pugliese had a few diving saves to shut out three very close chances for the Lynx in the opening fifteen minutes of the second half.
- The Lynx netted two goals in a span four minutes to take a 2-1 lead with twenty-five minutes left in regulation.
- Samantha Bessey tied the game from about ten yards out hitting the bottom left corner past the diving Pilgrim keeper. The Lynx took the lead on a miscue in the Pilgrim back end off a Lynx corner kick which deflected off a defender into the goal.
- Lesley added an insurance goal to make it 3-1. Rachel Buckley displayed some foot skills to dribble away from the defense and get a shot off from the left wing and out of reach of Pugliese.
- New England College responded in the 76th minute to cut the deficit to one. LePage netted her second goal of the match off a free kick on the edge of the eighteen. She put the ball top shelf, out of reach of Gaan to make it 3-2 in favor of the Lynx.
- Lesley was able to hold on to the 3-2 lead for the remainder of the match to earn the NECC Women's Soccer Championship.
- Both Gaan and Pugliese recorded 5 saves a piece on the night, while Lesley held the advantage in shots 15-10.
New England College ends their season with a 13-8-2 record, while the Lynx improve to 16-4 and remained undefeated against all NECC opponents. Lesley will await their NCAA tournament pairings.
2018 NECC Tournament MVP
Maddy Deitrick, Lesley University
2018 NECC Women's Soccer All-Tournament Team
Lindsey Keith, Becker College
Ciara McKissick, Becker College
Molly Madore, Southern Vermont College
Jayne Wierzbicki, Southern Vermont College
Emily LePage, New England College
Michaela Pomeroy, New England College
Leeann Demirjian, New England College
Dawn Johnson, New England College
Jordan Mitchell, Lesley University
Tayla Maberry, Lesley University
Xaelel Allen-Caballero, Lesley University